The meaning of the word Dhauti is to wash-washing of the stomach, ithe
intestine, the feeding canal, the gall bladder pitt and the return.
Types Of Dhauti:
Cleaning of the teeth is considered as the first step of good health. If our teeth are dirty our meals get polluted. So the cleaning of teeth is most essential. One of the first ways of cleaning one’s teeth is the use of datun, a small twig of neem or keekar tree. We can make a fine brush of one top of the datum by chewing & afterwards rubbing the brush properly up & down & on either side of our gums. This exercise is also beneficial in strengthening our gums.
Powder of katha or any other kind of fine powder or tooth paste is also used in cleaning the teeth.
A small quantity of rock salt & alum powder should be roasted on a pan light fire. Make in into poder. Mix one spoon of alum powder with six spoons of salt powder. Then mix a little quantity of this powder with a little quantity of mustard oil. Turn it into paste and rub it on the teeth. This also helps in cleaning the teeth.
Note : We should massage our gums with fingers after using the paste.
Fill the mouth with waste and sprinkle water on the eyes. You can wash your eyes with the help of trephala water & use an eye wash cup for the same. It enhances the eyesight.
Remove the bark of the tree-datun and cutting it into two, rub the tongue with it. These days tongue cleaner is used for cleaning the tongue. Rub the tongue with the first three fingers from its roots. It also cleans the phlegm secreted in the throat.
Karna Randhr Dhauti
After closing the two fingers-the first finger-tarjani and the ring finger-anamica together, clean your ear holes from inside.
Kapal Randhr Dhauti
While taking the bath, rub the mid-top of your skull with your thumb and fingers. It helps maintain the entire body under control and removes the formation of phlegm in the throat.
Heart is purified by the practice of Dhyan or mediation.
Kunjal kriya or Gajkarni Dhauti
Just as an elephant drinks water through its trunk and throws it out through the same route, even so a person drinks water through the mouth and vomits it out also through the mouth. It is called kunjal kriya or gajkarni.
This type of kriya has many benefits & the following are worthy of note :
- It cleans the entire alimentary canal from the throat to the stomach.
- It cures the ailments of weakness, stomachache, diabetes, arthirites, ulcer, eczema, kidneys, liver, obesity (fatness) gastric problems, dyspepsia, tonsils, acidity and the foul smell of bad breadth and perspiration. It also strengthens the trachea and bronchi.
- It makes a person active and arrests the tendency to sleep and lethargy.
- It helps remove all kinds of foreign matter from the stomach.
- It cures the ailments of the skin such as boils etc.
Sit on the heels just as sitting in the latrine in the pose of Kagasan. Take six or seven glasses of fresh water continuously. In winter luke warm water should be used instead of cold water. When it is felt that there is no more capacity to take water and it has been filled upto throat, stand up bending a little forward, press the stomach with the left hand near the naval. Put the fore-fingers of the right hand into the tongue and press it from its root. It will create an urge to vomit out the entire quantity of water from the
stomach. At the end of the kriya, wash the nose, mouth and hands with clean water. Persons with long practice can vomit out water with the help of Uddiyan Bandh & do not therefore, need the help of fingers to achieve the desired end.
Special Instruction :
- Drink six or seven glasses of water so that no difficulty is felt in vomiting it out.
- Do not stand erect after drinking water. Stand with a slight bend in the back.
- While vomiting out water no pressure should be resorted to.
- Nails should be cut before pressing the fingers into the mouth. Sharp nails are bound to bleeding the throat from inside.
- Use luke-warm water instead of cold water & do not mix salt etc. with it.
- Do not pull out the fingers from the mouth so long as the whole quantity of water is not squeezed out.
- Do not get scared if the whole quantity of water does not come out. Whatever
water is left inside will pass through the urine.
- Heart patients are advised not to start this Kriya in the beginning. They can start it only after they strengthen their heart through the practice of Yogasans.
- Patients can do Kunjal Kriya continuously for one month, other may do it as the need arises.
- Person who feel a kind of dryness in their throat after this Kriya, can take a little fruit juice after some time. But others should not take anything for one hour after this Kriya.
- Possibiity of harm cannot be ruled out if salt is mixed with water.
- This Kriya is very beneficial for those who desire to get rid of undigested food.
- Murcas and Phlegm get stuck into to the sides of the stomach and the same get absorbed into the cloth which is gently pulled out. Similarly rotten bile also can be removed from our stomach.
- Even small tumours can be wiped out by this process.
- This way the stomach remains light and clean.
- Asthma, cough, enlargement of the spleen, headache, fever, kunth etc. are cured by this kriya, eyesight is improved.
- After the purification process one gets a boost in one’s energy.
Thin or fine piece of muslin cloth strip 3 inches wide & fifteen ft. long called Vastr Dhauti is used. It is dipped in clean water. Stand on the feet as shown in the picture. Initially put only one edge of the cloth into the mouth and swallow it. On the first day only swallow 2-3 inches of the piece of cloth and gradually continue this practice by and by. In case any difficulty is faced in swallowing the dhauti. It will be advisable to soak it in milk or honey before swallowing. If there is any kind of obstruction, drink warm saline water and vomit it out. Pull out the dhauti slowly and slowly after that. As soon as the kriya is over the dhauti should be washed in warm soap-water, so that it is completely neat and clean. Later on dry it & fold it for the next time.
Vayu Dhauti (Swallowing Air)
It has been discussed under the title Plavani Pranayam in the chapter on Prabayam else where in the book. Please read it there.
A tiger after taking flesh, vomits it out after a few hours. During this interval it assimilates the essence and throws out the rest. Likewise a person who take undigestible or heavy meals, vomits out the articles of food after 3 hours and feels a sense of relief after that.
(a) All the heavy & foreign elements are removed by this practice.
(b) Ulcer, bile, natural and other stomach ailments are cured by this kriya.
Resort to vomiting within three hours of taking the meals, as the real essence of food is absorbed by the small intestines during this interval. The rest of the useless matter is vomited out by this kriya.
The Practice of Baghi Dhauti is beneficial mainly to escape the harm or
restlessness resulting from the eating of heavy or undigestible food.
Shankh Prakhshalan or Verisar Dhauti (Stomach Wash)
Shankh means ‘Stomach’ and Prakhshalan means ‘to wash’. By this practice we purify the alimentary canal from the throat to anus. By this practice we carry out the purification of our body and the excretion of the hand elements of food form our stomach. It cures disorders of the stomach, ailments of lungs, and those of Vat (wind) Pitta (bile) and phlegm ailments resulting from heat & cold, troubles of the eyes and head ache. It also helps us to get rid of the bad habit of smoking.
Take a bucker of water and boil it well. When it becomes cold, mix a little quantity of salt with it. Take half a dozen glasses of water accompanied by Yogasans in the manner given under :
First Time : Take a glass of water with 5 asans
Second Time: Repeat it as given above
Third Time : Repeat it as given above
Fourth Time : Repeat it again
Fifth Time : Repeat it again
After taking six glasses of water, proceed towards the latrine whether or not the urge is felt. Don’t take long to stay there and return after the first flush. Take one glass of water after every flush upto 16-20 glasses and go on repeating the process as stated above. In the first instance, the dirty latrine will come out. Thereafter, dirt mixed with water will follow. It will be followed by dirty and stinky water after the sixth or seventh flush. After some repetitions of a few more glasses of water an asans, the stomach will
release all the dirty particles & at the end only clean water will pass through the anus. When that stage is reached, Shankh Prakshalan is supposed to be complete.
After this kriya one should start Kunjal Kriya. The technique of this kriya has already been explained. Kunjal Kriya should be followed by Rubber or Sutra Neti and Kapalbhati. Thirty minutes Shavasan is advised thereafter.
Afterwards thin & finely prepared Khichri of rice and Moong Dal with atleast 100 grams of pure ghee should be taken. This is important because our intestines get completely washed by this Kriya and when pure ghee is used bile shall not harm them as a layer of ghee will stick to them andt hey get properly lubricated. Here then what is important is not Khichri but pure ghee. Remember that Khichri should not be too much saltish. Only light salt is advisable. If one does not use Khichri he will get fever due to bilious disorder. Hence only Khichri should be taken & nothing else.
Some important instructions
- Hunger or no hunger taking of Khichri is essential but more essential than that is use of pure ghee in it.
- Do not drink water for 3 hours after this kriya. Cold water is not allowed. Take only tepid water.
- Do not sleep for three hours.
- Evening meals also should consist of khichri and pure ghee.
- Take only simple and digestive food on the following two days.
- Milk and curd, eatables of milk & curd, peppery & spicy food as well as pickles should be totally avoided for three days after this Kriya. Light meals are advised on the night before SHankh Prakhshalan Kriya is done.
- This Kriya may be done twice in a year-Either in September and October or in March and April. These are the months of changing seasons.
- This kriya when done for the first time, should be practiced under the guidance of an expert or experienced person. And before start, arrange all the necessary things before hand such as tepid water, a tumbler, salt, some durries for sitting purpose, khichri, pure gree, utensils etc.
- Use only loose, minimum clothes at the time of this kriya.
- In case the intestines are weak or swollen Shankh Prakhshalan should not be done.
- No physical exercise should be done immediately after this Kriya.
- After Shankh Prakhshalan, take rest in Shavasan for half an hour then take Khichri.